Morrison Iron Bridge
Columbia Bridge Works founder, David H. Morrison, was Dayton's city engineer. Considered the father of Dayton's public works, he significantly improved the city's infrastructure.
Most of this bridge's fabrication took place at the Columbia Bridge Works' shop in Dayton. The pieces were then assembled on site with the help of neighboring farmers, who would ultimately benefit from it by connecting them to the markets in the nearby villages. The bridge was also an important link to the social, religious and educational activities in the area.
Although better than an all-wood bridge, the iron bridge's wooden floors posed problems. Wagons, and later automobiles, made a terrific noise when crossing and neighbors would often have to fasten loose boards back into place.
Built in 1881 in Dayton and assembled over Tom's Run on
Gratis Road near Farmersville, Ohio.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 39° 43.717′ N, 84° 12.202′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James F. Dickie Family Transportation Center (a few steps from this marker); Canal Superintendent's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Miami and Erie Canal Lock No. 17 (within shouting distance of this marker); Dayton Cyclery (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith Covered Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bowling Green Depot (about 300 feet away); The Story of Brethen Tower & The Callahan Building Clock (about 400 feet away); The Great 1913 Flood Exhibit Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.