James F. Dickie Family Transportation Center
In 1870, you could travel the length of Third Street through downtown Dayton on the city's first horse-drawn streetcar line. The top speed was six miles per hour.
This building was designed to be reminiscent of Dayton's Union Station and a railroad roundhouse. In 1856, Dayton's first "union” passenger depot was built at Sixth and Ludlow Streets. A new Union Station was built in 1901 with a clock tower. During the Great Dayton Flood of 1913, approximately 300 passengers were stranded there. It was torn down in 1989.
A roundhouse was where trains were repaired and serviced. A locomotive was placed on a turntable located outside the roundhouse. The turntable would spin the locomotive to an open bay so it could be repaired.
Built in 2000 in Carillon Historical Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 39° 43.715′ N, 84° 12.186′ W. Marker is in Moraine, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Carillon Boulevard, 0.2 miles west of South Patterson Boulevard, on the left when
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morrison Iron Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Canal Superintendent's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Miami and Erie Canal Lock No. 17 (within shouting distance of this marker); Dayton Cyclery (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith Covered Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bowling Green Depot (about 300 feet away); The Great 1913 Flood Exhibit Building (about 400 feet away); Dayton Sales (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moraine.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.