Bowling Green Depot
In 1847, Dayton's first "railroad” was a cart pulled by oxen along wooden rails to haul the stone used to build downtown's Old Court House. True rail service began in 1851.
By the 1890s, the railroad was the major transportation link uniting the nation. While cities like Dayton had large union stations, small towns used smaller depots like this one. There were hundreds of these depots throughout Ohio.
Communities depended on depots for daily news and telegrams delivered by telegraph, mail and freight services, and travel. Passengers waited in the front room while the station master worked in the back. He operated the telegraph, sold tickets, received and sent shipments, operated the semaphore signal tower, and delivered messages to the train conductors using message hoops.
Built in 1894 in Bowling Green, Ohio.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 39° 43.701′ N, 84° 12.13′ W. Marker is in Moraine, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Carillon Boulevard
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Great 1913 Flood Exhibit Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dayton Cyclery (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith Covered Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Dayton Sales (within shouting distance of this marker); Miami and Erie Canal Lock No. 17 (within shouting distance of this marker); Wright Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); James F. Dickie Family Transportation Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canal Superintendent's Office (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moraine.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.