Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crawford in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Flagstaff, 1890

 
 
Flagstaff, 1890 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, May 25, 2021
1. Flagstaff, 1890 Marker
Inscription.  This flagstaff, 105 feet high, is constructed of metal pipe with a ladder and crow's nest for buglers. It was originally on the other side of the 1905 headquarters near the highway, having replaced an earlier flagstaff blown down by an 1889 windstorm. In 1930, after run-away mules felled the flagpole, the commanding officer ordered it relocated here. Sergeant John Kailey, with the longest service record at the garrison, hoisted the flag for the first time, on Washington's birthday, 1876.
 
Erected by Nebraska State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsForts and CastlesPatriots & Patriotism. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 42° 40.108′ N, 103° 28.012′ W. Marker is in Crawford, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker can be reached from Bridges to Buttes Byway (U.S. 20) 0.1 miles south of Soldier Creek Road, on the right when traveling south. The marker stands at
New Flagstaff image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, May 25, 2021
2. New Flagstaff
Click or scan to see
this page online
Fort Robinson State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3200 Bridges to Buttes Byway, Crawford NE 69339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ft. Robinson (here, next to this marker); Post Headquarters, 1905 (within shouting distance of this marker); Adobe Officers’ Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1887 Barracks Row (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Ft. Robinson (about 300 feet away); Chief Crazy Horse (about 400 feet away); 1909 Brick Barracks (about 400 feet away); Officers’ Row, 1874-1875 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crawford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173946

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 18, 2021