Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Crawford in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Fort Robinson and the Railroad

 
 
Fort Robinson and the Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, May 25, 2021
1. Fort Robinson and the Railroad Marker
Inscription.  On January 20, 1885. Congress granted the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad a right-of-way through the Fort Robinson Military Reservation. Later this line was acquired by the Chicago and North Western. With direct rail access in 1886, the fort continued to expand its regional importance, and its military use was assured well into the twentieth century. The railroad's arrival also spurred settlement with the founding of the town of Crawford in 1886.
 
Erected by Chicago and North Western Transportation Company; Nebraska State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 20, 1885.
 
Location. 42° 39.903′ N, 103° 27.506′ W. Marker is near Crawford, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker can be reached from Bridges to Buttes Byway (U.S. 20) south of Soldier Creek Road, on the right when traveling
Overgrown rail near the marker image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, May 25, 2021
2. Overgrown rail near the marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crawford NE 69339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. K-9 Training Area (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sea Level Bench Mark (approx. ¼ mile away); The Flight of the Cheyennes (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cavalry Barracks/Cheyenne Outbreak (approx. 0.3 miles away); Adjuncts Office/Guardhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Crazy Horse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Officers’ Row, 1874-1875 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Robinson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crawford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174026

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 18, 2021