Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Crawford in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

1887 Barracks Row

 
 
1887 Barracks Row Marker image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, May 25, 2021
1. 1887 Barracks Row Marker
Inscription.  During the 1887 expansion of Fort Robinson six adobe barracks were built on the south side of the parade ground. Later two frame barracks were added. Each building had a dormitory area 170 by 30 feet, a kitchen wing 70 by 30 feet, and housed a single troop, usually 50 to 75 soldiers. Cavalry troops occupied this row until 1916. New brick construction in the twentieth century replaced three barracks. The five remaining barracks were demolished in 1923.
 
Erected 1991 by Nebraska State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
 
Location. 42° 40.085′ N, 103° 28.079′ W. Marker is near Crawford, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker can be reached from Bridges to Buttes Byway (U.S. 20) 0.1 miles west of Soldier Creek Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3200 Bridges to Buttes Byway, Crawford NE 69339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flagstaff, 1890 (about 300 feet away, measured in a
Reconstructed Barracks image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, May 25, 2021
2. Reconstructed Barracks
Click or scan to see
this page online
direct line); Ft. Robinson (about 300 feet away); Post Headquarters, 1905 (about 400 feet away); 1909 Brick Barracks (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Ft. Robinson (about 600 feet away); Adobe Officers’ Quarters (about 600 feet away); Chief Crazy Horse (about 700 feet away); Officers’ Row, 1874-1875 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crawford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174027

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2021