Roslyn in Nassau County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Harbor Hill Estate and the Mackay Horse Statues
Among the largest estates ever amassed on Long Island was the enormous Renaissance style country house known as Harbor Hill designed in 1899 by Stanford White and built from 1900 to 1902 for Clarence H. Mackay and his wife Katherine. Clarence Mackay (1874-1938) was heir to the Comstock lode silver fortune and was a major figure in the development of the international telegraph business.
The 648-acre estate was located atop the highest point in the area overlooking the village of Roslyn and Hempstead Harbor. The "Harbor Hill" can be seen just to the east of this location.
The estate was divided into formal gardens and terraces surrounding the main house and a 70-acre farm. At the bottom of the west garden, Mackay commissioned two replicas of the famous Marly Horse statues that were built in 1739 for King Louis XV of France.
The 26-foot statues and pedestals were carved by sculptor Franz Plumelet and installed in 1920.
With Clarence Mackay's death in 1938, the Harbor Hill estate was left to his son John Mackay. Due to vandalism during the World War II, the mansion
The property was sold in the late 1950s and primarily became the Country Estates housing development.
In the 1950s, the north Mackay Horse Statue was relocated to Roslyn High School. Until 2010, the south Mackay Horse Statue stood in its original location rising above the house at 165 Poplar Drive, East Hills on its original pedestal.
Bruce and Melissa Shulman donated the statue and pedestal to the Town of North Hempstead in 2009. On January 27, 2010, the statue and pedestal were dismantled for restoration and relocation to Gerry Park.
Supported by the Gerry Charitable Trust and private contributions generated by the Roslyn Landmark Society, the restored statue and pedestal were unveiled on October 19, 2013. With funding from Nassau County and the Town of North Hempstead, the statue's plaza and landscaping were completed in August 2018.
Erected by Roslyn Lankmark Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Arts, Letters, Music. A significant historical date for this entry is January 27, 2010.
Location. 40° 47.804′ N, 73° 38.882′ W. Marker is in Roslyn, New York, in Nassau County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Roslyn NY 11576, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roslyn World War II Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Roslyn Historical District (approx. ¼ mile away); William H. Tailer Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Roslyn Grist Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); Cedarmere (approx. one mile away); William Cullen Bryant (approx. one mile away); Monfort Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roslyn.
Also see . . .
1. Harbor Hill. Clarence H. Mackay, Harbor Hill and the Postal Telegraph website entry (Submitted on May 27, 2021.)
2. Harbor Hill Country Home (Estate of Clarence Mackay). Roslyn Landmark Society website entry (Submitted on May 27, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.