Tahoka in Lynn County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
New Moore Community
New Moore was a rural farming community established on the site of the Singleton Slash L Ranch in 1924. Samuel F. Singleton came to Texas in the 1870s. He met Marion Virgil ‘Pap’ Brownfield and they settled sixteen sections of land along the present-day Lynn County/Terry County line in 1896. Brownfield and Singleton eventually split, and Singleton retained the Lynn County portion. In 1898, Singleton purchased the thirty-section Slash L Ranch. He now had 50 sections of land that he ranched. When Singleton died in 1924 his family put up the ranch for sale and W. McCarty Moore from Dallas bought 17,000 acres from the Singletons. He divided the land into quarter sections and sold it to families looking for cheap land. The old Singleton headquarters home and stock pens were purchased by Frank Rogers and this location became known as “New Moore.”
In 1924, McCarty more built the Slash L School on the west side of the land known as the Marshall Place, a one-room structure without water or electricity. A new schoolhouse was later authorized and built at New Moore, across from the Frank Rogers home. This was called the New Moore School.
Marker is property of the State of Texas 2014
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17848.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
Location. 33° 1.329′ N, 102° 1.957′ W. Marker is in Tahoka, Texas, in Lynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 213 and Farm to Market Road 179, on the right when traveling west on Highway 213. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tahoka TX 79373, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Mail Relay Station (approx. 8 miles away); Buffalo Soldier Tragedy of 1877 in Lynn County (approx. 11 miles away); Terry County (approx. 11.8 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 12.1 miles away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 12.2 miles away); The A. J. Warren Building (approx. 12.3 miles away); O'Donnell (approx. 12.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.