Near Crawford in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Adobe Officers’ Quarters
These duplex officers' quarters, of adobe brick construction, were completed in 1887 when Fort Robinson became a cavalry regimental headquarters. This structure has been restored by by the Nebraska State Historical Society, and furnishings represent those of a typical Fort Robinson officer's home.
A Post Commander's wife, Mrs. James Biddle, wrote that the quarters were provided with running water, the first she had seen during her Army life; and the social life was comparable to any large city such as Boston or Washington.
Erected by Nebraska State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 42° 40.152′ N, 103° 27.989′ W. Marker is near Crawford, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker can be reached from Bridges to Buttes Byway (U.S. 20) 0.1 miles south of Soldier Creek Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Post Headquarters, 1905 (within shouting distance of this marker); Ft. Robinson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flagstaff, 1890 (about 300 feet away); Chief Crazy Horse (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Ft. Robinson (about 500 feet away); 1887 Barracks Row (about 600 feet away); 1909 Brick Barracks (about 700 feet away); Officers’ Row, 1874-1875 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crawford.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.