Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

4600 East Carson Street

 
 
4600 East Carson Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 30, 2021
1. 4600 East Carson Street Marker
Inscription.  Originally the Hays Mansion owned by James B. Hays and built in the mid-1800's, this property was purchased by Charles H. Butterweck in 1916 from Stella and Louis Hays. Although the original home was destroyed in the 1936 flood, there is pictured the original parlor of the home, showing leather chairs stuffed with real horsehair. There was a wooden boardwalk fronting the home for foot traffic. In 1859, the first public transportation system began in Pittsburgh as a horse- or mule-drawn trolley. One route along East Carson Street offered people the opportunity to live in one neighborhood and work in another. Some of these horse-drawn trolleys operated in the Southside until 1923. On the corner of Beck's Run Road and East Carson Street, Reick's small store sold tobacco, soap, ice cream, Coca-Cola and sundries to men who worked the railroad, (called gandy dancers), mill workers, and local residents. This store sat where Page Dairy Mart stands today. The trestle used for supporting the railroad over the low part of Beck's Run Road was first constructed of wood, then steel. In 1924, the Pennsylvania Railroad replaced the steel with reinforced concrete
4600 East Carson Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 30, 2021
2. 4600 East Carson Street Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
viaduct, carrying 5 tracks, and is in use today.

Photographs courtesy of Page Dairy Mart and The Baldwin Historical Society. Design and production Modern Reproductions, Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. 40° 24.654′ N, 79° 57.296′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is on Three Rivers Heritage Trail 1.3 miles south of Hot Metal Bridge, on the right when traveling south. Not accessible to motorized vehicles. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15210, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Flood Of 1936 (within shouting distance of this marker); Coal Tipple (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Redman's Mills (about 600 feet away); Eliza Furnace (approx. 1.1 miles away); Iron and Steel Workers (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jones and Laughlin (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pittsburgh's Lost Cyclist (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hazelwood: A Rivertown Rich in History (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
Also see . . .  Friends of the Riverfront. (Submitted on June 1, 2021.)

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2021, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174403

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 18, 2021