F.D. Chase Building
City of Berkeley Structure of Merit designated in 2000
William Wharff, Architect, 1909
Renovation, The Bay Architects, 2001
During Berkeley's early 20th-century development boom, the F.D. Chase Real Estate Company constructed this office building across from the Southern Pacific Railway station, replacing the S. Taylor Saddlery and Harness Shop on this site. One of Berkeley's tallest buildings at that time, it was constructed of wood timber framing with brick exterior bearing walls. The original rectangular cast iron columns still frame the center storefront openings.
The ground floor originally housed a pool hall and the Opal "moving picture” theatre.
In 1915, the upstairs offices were converted into the 64-room Newland Hotel.
Bay windows were added in the late 1920s and the building continued as
a hotel under various names until 1977, when the upper floors
were remodeled into apartments.
Erected 2017 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Studio Building 1905-06 (within shouting distance of this marker); Roos Bros. Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Francis Kittredge Shattuck Building (within shouting distance of this marker); S.H. Kress Co. Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Heywood Building (about 300 feet away); Shattuck Square (about 300 feet away); Chamber of Commerce / Wells Fargo Bank (about 400 feet away); Ennor’s Restaurant Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.