Three Rivers Heritage Trail
In 1797, James O'Hara and Isaac Craig opened the first Pittsburgh glass manufactory on the South Side to serve a profitable market in the Ohio River Valley. By the 1870s the city had 46 glassworks and employed nearly 6000 people, third only to the iron and steel industry in productivity and employment.
Glass in the expanding new nation was needed for windows, mirrors, containers, flasks, lanterns, and bottles and jars for medicine, spirits, table ware, and countless other uses. The essential materials for glass manufacturing—fuel, silica, and potash—were plentiful in Pittsburgh, as was the skill of laborers and business enterprise.
The South Side was the home of many successful glass factories, including companies owned by Ihmsen, McKee, and Evans. PPG Industries, a leading global manufacturer of glass, began here in 1883. Pittsburgh glass was famous for its variety, ranging
Pressed "Lacy" Glass table ware, 1830-1840
Free-blown non-lead glass wares, 1800-1825
The interior of a glass factory in 1887
Thomas Evans Glass Factory was near this site
Containers for whiskey, beer, condiments, medicines and other products were made in Pittsburgh
Erected by Friends of the Riverfront, DCNR, Steel Industry Heritage Corporation, City of Pittsburgh, PHMC.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 40° 25.903′ N, 79° 59.291′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is on Three Rivers Heritage Trail, 0.4 miles east of South 4th Street, on the left when traveling east. Not accessible by motorized vehicle. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pennsylvania Canal in Pittsburgh (here, next to this marker); Panhandle Railroad (here, next to this marker); Oliver Iron and Steel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bedford School (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Also see . . . Friends of the Riverfront. (Submitted on June 2, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2021, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 2, 2021, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 2. submitted on June 1, 2021, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.