Near Hydro in Caddo County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
U.S. 66 Will Rogers Highway
— Chicago to Los Angeles —
W.O. Waldrop bought the business/home in 1934 and renamed the place, the Provine Station. A small tourist court was added for overnight stays.
In 1941 Lucille and Carl Hamons became the new owners. They raised their three children Dene, Carl, Jr. and Cheryl here.
For 59 years, Lucille operated the business. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
"What constitutes a life well spent? Love and admiration from your fellow men is all that anyone can ask," Will Rogers
Erected 2006 by Oklahoma Route 66 Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the U.S. Route 66 🛣️ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 35° 32.221′ N, 98° 35.301′ W. Marker is near Hydro, Oklahoma, in Caddo County. Marker is on Old U.S. 66 east of South Coleman AvenueTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: S Coleman Ave, Hydro OK 73048, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Baldwin Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hydro Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); McDonnell-Douglas F-4C Phantom II (approx. 4.6 miles away); Lt. Gen. Thomas P. Stafford (approx. 4.6 miles away); Lockheed F-104C "Starfighter" (approx. 4.6 miles away); Fairchild-Republic A-10 "Thunderbolt II" (approx. 4.6 miles away); Apollo Command Module (approx. 4.6 miles away); Lockheed T-33 "Shooting Star" (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hydro.
Also see . . . Provine Service Station on Wikipedia. Lucille Hamons operated the station after her husband Carl's death in 1971. She stopped selling gas there in 1986 and continued to run it as a souvenir shop until her death in 2000. The original Hamons Court sign was donated by the family to the Smithsonian Museum of American History. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places (#97000803) in 1997. (Submitted on June 2, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.