Safety Harbor in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Safety Harbor Historical Site: St. James Hotel
By the mid-1930s, the Great Depression had begun, and the economy built around the mineral springs suffered. The 58-room St. James Hotel closed and was stripped of all its fixtures and furnishings. After World War II, it was refurbished by Dr. Salem Baranoff, the new owner of the Safety Harbor Spa, and was named the De Soto Hotel. Under new ownership, the building was renamed Harborhouse at the end of the 20th Century and was used primarily
Erected by Community Redevelopment Agency and the Safety Harbor Museum of Regional History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is May 6, 1925.
Location. 27° 59.454′ N, 82° 41.321′ W. Marker is in Safety Harbor, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is on Main Street (Florida Route 590) just east of 2nd Avenue South, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Main Street, Safety Harbor FL 34695, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “The Baranoff Oak” (within shouting distance of this marker); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Baranoff Oak Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Safety Harbor Historical Site: First Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Espiritu Santo Springs (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Safety Harbor Historical Site: 136 4th Ave. N. Safety Harbor: "The 1908 Gingerbread House" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: 135 4th Avenue North (approx. 0.2 miles away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Native American Burial Mound (approx. 0.2 miles away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Tucker Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Safety Harbor.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.