Williamston in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Methodist Episcopal Church
“Circuit riding” ministers brought Methodism to Williamston during the 1850s. The congregation organized in 1859 and built a small church on this site in 1871. The growing membership set about building a new church in 1896. The sanctuary of this church was dedicated on October 10, 1897. Lightning struck the steeple in 1919 and later much of the bell tower was removed. In 1999 the church interior was restored.
Erected 2006 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2182.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1896.
Location. 42° 41.277′ N, 84° 16.978′ W. Marker is in Williamston, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of South Putnam Street and East Middle Street, on the right when traveling north on South Putnam Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 S Putnam St, Williamston MI 48895, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Downtown Historic District (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCormick Park (about 800 feet away); The Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Mary Parish (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Beeman House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Williamston Center United Methodist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Grand River Trail (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 5, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.