Eagle Rock in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Eastlake Victorian. Built 1888. Declared '08. Restored 2007 by Edward, Martha & Lucy Hunt.
Historic-Cultural Monument No. 931, Cultural Heritage Commission, City of Los Angeles.
Erected 2008 by City of Los Angeles. (Marker Number 931.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. 34° 8.388′ N, 118° 13.576′ W. Marker is in Eagle Rock, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on El Verano Avenue south of Rock Glen Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5027 El Verano Ave, Los Angeles CA 90041, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Somerset Farm (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Eagle Rock Branch Library (approx. 0.7 miles away); Eagle Rock City Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Verdugo Village (approx. one mile away); Adams Square Gas StationGoode House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Barack Obama ‘83 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Korean Comfort Women Statue (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagle Rock.
Regarding Castle Crag. This is a 2˝-story Queen Anne home with a large turret at the front of the structure. Built on a hillside in 1888 for Howard M. Sale, Castle Crag is one of the few remaining early Pioneer residences built during the Southern California Land Boom of the 1880’s. The structure was at the center of the earliest tract to be carved out of the Rancho San Rafael. The land was re-subdivided in 1906 by then owner E. S. Ellis. In 1910, it was sold to local realtor Charles W. Young and his wife Emma. An undated newspaper article of their early ownership is the first reference to the name “Castle Crag.” After Charles’ death in 1932, Emma E. Young remained in the house until 1957. She was one of the early historians of Eagle Rock and a principal founder of the Eagle Rock Valley Historical Society.
The nearby house at 2818 Rock Glen Ave was once part of the same property, and the home of author John Steinbeck in 1929-1930 and 1932.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 8, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 4. submitted on June 12, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.