Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Abell in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

"Old" Oriole Park

 
 
"Old" Oriole Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, June 9, 2021
1. "Old" Oriole Park Marker
Inscription.  Site of former major league baseball park known as Terrapin Park. Home of Federal League Baltimore Terrapins from 1914 to 1915. Built on land owned by Ned Hanlon, manager of the world champion 1890s National League Baltimore Orioles and a director of Federal League Terrapins. Ballpark was located across 29th Street from site of Oriole Park (II). Home of American Association Baltimore Orioles from 1889 to 1892, and American League Park/Oriole Park (IV). Home of American League Orioles from 1901 to 1902 and Eastern League/International League Orioles from 1903 to 1914. Babe Ruth pitched for the International League Orioles at Oriole Park (IV) from April to July 1914, winning 13 games before being sold to the Boston Red Sox. Jack Dunn, owner of the International League Orioles purchased Terrapin Park in March 1916 and moved his team across street to this site, renamed Oriole Park. It became fifth Baltimore ballpark to bear that name in 1919. Dunn's Orioles were first International League team to win over 100 games, and from 1919 to 1925, won seven straight International League pennants, setting a record for consecutive pennants won by a professional
"Old" Oriole Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, June 9, 2021
2. "Old" Oriole Park Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
baseball team. On July 4, 1944, Oriole Park (V) burned to the ground, leaving only the outfield fence and scoreboard. As an International League Orioles future Hall of Fame pitcher Robert Moses "Lefty" Grove won 108 games, with 1,020 strikeeouts. Negro League Baltimore Elite Giants played some home games at Oriole Park (V) beginning in 1939.
 
Erected by Stephen Johnson - Project Director, David B. Stinson - Author.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansSports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
 
Location. 39° 19.48′ N, 76° 36.614′ W. Marker is in Abell in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of 30th Street and Barclay Street on 30th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21218, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Soldiers and Sailors Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gatehouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Joseph Beuys Tree Partnership (approx. half a mile away); Lion (approx. half a mile away); Wyman Park Dell (approx. half a mile away); Eastern High School Monument (approx. half a mile away); Harriet Tubman Grove (approx. half a mile away); Spring House or Dairy - c. 1812 (approx. half a mile away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2021, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2021, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=175036

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 18, 2021