Brookeland United Methodist Church
Present Brookeland is located in an area served by pioneer Methodist preachers beginning in the 1840s. During that era, circuit riding preachers conducted worship services in local homes. Thomas Jefferson Jacks was one of the earliest to minister to settlers in this part of Sabine County. What is now Brookeland was then on the Bear Creek circuit.
In 1876, Mary L. White Hamilton conveyed three acres of land for the establishment of a church, school and cemetery. The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, that organized as a result of her donation later became Brookeland United Methodist Church. Members held early services in the community schoolhouse.
In 1907, during the pastorate of the Rev. John C. Campbell, the parishioners began construction on a new church building at this site purchased by the trustees. Over the ensuing years, church facilities here have expanded to meet the needs and programs of the growing congregation.
For more than 100 years, Brookeland United Methodist Church has been a vital part of the surrounding area. In addition to being a spiritual leader, the church has also functioned as an institution of stability,
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13638.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 31° 9.29′ N, 93° 59.707′ W. Marker is in Brookeland, Texas, in Sabine County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Highway 8 and Old Highway 96, on the left when traveling north on Old Highway 8. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brookeland TX 75931, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pineland (approx. 6.8 miles away); Hemphill Cemetery (approx. 15.4 miles away); Sabine County Jail (approx. 15˝ miles away); Sabine County (approx. 15˝ miles away); Sabine County Courthouse (approx. 15.6 miles away); Hemphill (approx. 15.6 miles away); a different marker also named Sabine County (approx. 15.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Hemphill (approx. 15.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.