Saint Rose Catholic Church
The present church building is the second to serve the St. Rose Parish community. By the early. 1880's the first church building (located at what is now 80-84 Elm Street) had become inadequate for the growing St. Rose congregation. In 1885 the pastor of St. Rose, Father Gustave Rieken, organized a building committee.
The renowned German-American architect Adolphus Druiding of Chicago prepared a rendering for a new St. Rose Church done in an elaborate Gothic Revival Style with brick exterior. Druiding's proposed design is found in his book, Church Architecture, printed in 1889. The St. Rose building committee, however, decided that the new church exterior should be made of stone, the first such church in the area. Druiding's design was not accepted.
Church records credit John Burkhart (also spelled "Burkart") of Kenton Ohio, as the designer and builder of the new church. Burkhart was not an architect, but specialized in building with stone and brick.
Ground was broken for the new church in 1889, and the cornerstone was blessed by Bishop Gilmour of Cleveland on September 8, 1889. Stone for the church foundation
Three bells were cast by the Stuckstede Company of St. Louis and placed in the tower in 1890. They are, from the smallest to the largest, named "Rose," "Mary,” and "Joseph."
The first Mass was celebrated in the new church on May 29, 1892. Bishop Ignatius Horstmann of Cleveland solemnly dedicated the church on May 28, 1893.
The pipe organ in St. Rose Church is a historic, tracker organ built by Garret House of Buffalo, New York in 1873. Originally installed in the first St. Rose church building, the organ was moved to the new church upon its completion. It was extensively refurbished in 1975-76.
The church has received many improvements over the years. The last major refurbishment was completed in 1998, under the leadership of Father John A. Thomas. In 2004 the church was air-conditioned during the pastorate of Father Thomas J. Leyland.
"How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord, God of hosts!"
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 29, 1892.
Location. 41° 33.691′ N, 83° 37.654′ W. Marker is in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is on East Front Street (Ohio Route 65) just east of Elm Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 E Front St, Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1861 (a few steps from this marker); History Happens Here… (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry (about 800 feet away); The Way We Were… (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Way We Were… (approx. 0.2 miles away); Perrysburg Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Way We Were… (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 16, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.