San Saba in San Saba County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Saba Lodge No. 225, A.F. & A.M
The history of San Saba is closely tied with the story of Freemasonry in the area, as many of those who helped organize San Saba County were Masons. Local Freemasons were already gathering as a group when the first county courthouse was erected in 1857 and the commissioners court allowed the Masons to meet in the new building.
Twelve Master Masons petitioned the Grand Lodge of Texas for dispensation to form a lodge; their petition was granted in May 1858. A full charter for San Saba Lodge No. 225 was granted in June 1859. Members of the Lodge were county officials, community leaders, frontier trailblazers, Texas rangers, sheriffs and confederate soldiers. The lodge first focused on the need for a public school in San Saba as members built a combination school and lodge hall. The Texas Legislature granted an official charter to the San Saba Masonic College in 1863.
Freemasonry grew in popularity and in 1863 the Royal Arch Masons were granted a dispensation for a San Saba chapter, remaining active until 1869. Despite a membership of 84 in 1879, San Saba Lodge suffered the same financial hardships as most of the Texas
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12189.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1858.
Location. 31° 11.73′ N, 98° 42.101′ W. Marker is in San Saba, Texas, in San Saba County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 190 and County Highway 100, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 190. The marker is located at the entrance to the Masonic Lodge. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 525 US Hwy 190, San Saba TX 76877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Saba Lodge No. 612, A.F. & A.M. (here, next to this marker); John H. "Shorty" Brown Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Saba (approx. half a mile away); Galloway (approx. 0.6 miles away); Alma Ward Hamrick (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mill Pond House (approx. 0.7 miles away); San Saba County Jail (approx. Ύ mile away); San Saba County Courthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Saba.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 134 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 17, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.