San Augustine in San Augustine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
An Early Presbyterian Church in Texas
Organized as the Bethel Presbyterian Church at Goodlaw school house by the Rev. Hugh Wilson on June 2, 1838 with the following charter members:
James, Isabella, Joseph and
H. G. Peggy, James and
John, Synta and Amanda Polk
Robert and Margaret Tibbets
Jack and Hanna Sharp (colored).
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 7600.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is June 2, 1838.
Location. 31° 31.884′ N, 94° 6.484′ W. Marker is in San Augustine, Texas, in San Augustine County. Marker is on East Livingston Street west of North Congress Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 207 E Livingston Street, San Augustine TX 75972, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Augustine City Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The "Red Lander" Office (about 600 feet away); Site of Law Office of Kenneth L. Anderson (about 600 feet away); Sam Houston in San Augustine (about 600 feet away); Old Hollis Building (about 600 feet away); Augus Theatre (about 700 feet away); Site of the First Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Augustine County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Augustine.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.