Fourth Ward Historic District
Neighborhood Area Map & House Listing
1. N. Poplar & W. 6th Street
Fourth Ward Park is a favorite feature of the neighborhood. It covers 3 acres, has a children's playground, walking trails, decorative fountains and benches for relaxing. Throughout the park you will see birdhouses crafted from discovered ceramic pieces designed by Joan Bankemper. Another art piece, "Traces of the Fourth Ward", with climbing roses by Shaun Cassidy reminds us of the distinctive old homes of the neighborhood.
2. 427 N. Pine Street
1897, Gothic style featuring a Charlotte Gable with a wraparound front porch with large columns and balustrades.
3. 402-4 W. 8th Street
Originally a red brick quadruplex, the building is now two separate residences. Both have front and side entrances encircled by a pierced brick wall.
4. 326 W. 8th Street
Overcarsh House, 1879, Queen Anne Style. At the corner facade, a circular turret tower presents the most distinctive design feature on the exterior. Note the sunburst gables, bracketed front porch and pineapple carving around front door.
5. 504 N. Pine Street
Jones House, 1885. A one
6. 509 N. Pine Street
In 1983, this turn of the century cottage was relocated one block and turned sideways to fit it's new location. This resulted in the front door being on the side of the house, as sometimes seen in Charleston.
7. 513 N. Pine Street
1880s. This two story "shotgun style" home features a Charleston Gable on the front. Over time it has been expanded first, to provide a trade school for GI's after WWII and subsequently to increase the home's living quarters.
8. N. Pine Street
Morrison-Lawry House, 1900s, Queen Anne style. This house originally faced Graham Street. Note the variety of windows shapes that are both, etched and stained. It is an example of one of the earliest forms of mass production — balloon framing. There is a storage closet inside for the annual storage of apples, and to this day you can still smell them.
9. 523 N. Pine Street
The "Mother In Law" House was built by the Berryhill family for its intended purpose. This house is one of Charlotte's first Craftsman bungalows.
10. 401 W. 9th Street
Crowell-Berryhill Store, 1897, Victorian. The store opened as a branch of the Star Mills Grocery Company and operated until 1931. It is the only turn-of-the-century
11. 601 N. Pine Street
1894, Eastlake Cottage. This home is a typical example of a middle class Victorian, including a filigree decorative porch. It was reportedly a liquor and gambling house prior to renovation. Note the discreet second floor addition.
12. 605 N. Pine Street
Built in 1901 and extensively damaged prior to renovation in 1978. Although Victorian on the outside, it is contemporary inside.
13. 607 N. Pine Street
GW Campbell House, 1890s. Built by G.W. Campbell, this Victorian style house contains original hardwood floors throughout as well as the original staircase, bannister and four functional fireplaces with original tile. The house survived a fire and served as a house of ill repute until its renovation in the 1980's.
14. 610 N. Pine Street
1907, Queen Anne style. This home was originally on W. 7th Street in the middle of what is now Fourth Ward Neighborhood Park. The building, in need of extensive renovation, was moved here in 1976. During a pre-renovation tour, the current owner fell through the living room floor, but undeterred and patient, bought, modified and enlarged the home.
15. 324 W. 9th Street
Berryhill House, 1884, Victorian Italianate style. The mid-1970's purchase and renovation of the Berryhill House by the Junior League began the revitalization of Charlotte's Fourth Ward. The house, an example of Victorian architecture in the Italianate style, has elaborate exterior ornamentation including eight-foot tall windows that feature pedimented heads, corniced eaves, square roof turret and wrap-around veranda. (Historic)
16. 333 W. 9th Street
Alsop House, 1900s, Late Victorian style. This home phased through being a multifamily apartment residence, a single family home and was then abandoned for a period of time. In 2001 the home was again renovated, retaining the high ceilings, decorative millwork and open floor plan. An urban garden was added in 2013 to the rear.
17. 323 W. 9h Street
Fennimore House, 1895. This Craftsman Bungalow style house originally had four rooms and was subsequently expanded on the first and second floro and in the rear and attic. The homes front facade front door and four interior mantles are original.
18. 320 W. 9th Street
Transition Queen Anne, 1904. This three-story home was moved to its present location from Graham Street in 1976. It has undergone extensive renovations and now includes a conservatory and garden level apartment. Features include a curved wall in the foyer, original
19. 316 W. 9th Street
1895, Queen Anne. This home was previously located at two other locations before being moved here in 1976. It features a 2nd story consumption porch, has endured at least one fire, and at one time was split into two apartments. It has been completely renovated while keeping the original heart of pine floors, doorway and five original fireplaces.
20. 319 W. 9th Street
1903, Queen Anne Cottage. This house is one of the few homes original to its lot. The large front porch has the original posts and decorative woodwork. The interior maintains the original heart pine floors and doors, three fireplaces, and original claw-foot bathtub and 12' ceilings, some with a heavy crown moldings. It has a larger back yard than typical for Fourth Ward with a pond and English garden plantings.
21. 315 W. 9th Street
1903, Victorian. Originally built as a shotgun style, four room one-story house, this home was revitalized in 2014. Although the original foundation and structure remain, many of the original features were restored and a second level was added.
22. 311 W. 9th Street
Built in 1929 as a quadraplex and renovated in 1973 to a single family residence.
23. 312 W. 9th Street
1903, Craftsman Style. Restored in 1976 to the original floor plan retaining the original look and walnut mantels and markings. The front door and stained glass window are original.
24. 601 N. Poplar Street
Sheppard House, 1898, Queen Anne style. This is one of only a few homes unique to its original site and orientation in the Fourth Ward. Its interior and exterior appointments are in remarkable condition. Note its slate roof, trim under the eaves, stained glass windows and many late Victorian touches.
25. 529 N. Poplar Street
Blair House, 1907, Modified 4-Square style. Built as a simple country home to escape the squalor of the teeming city. Note the unusual chimney with arches: each chimney serves 4 fireplaces.
26. 523 N. Street
Lyles-Sims House, 1867. Modified Queen Anne style. Erected between 1867 and 1869 and enlarged between 1870 and 1867. A rare survivor of nineteenth century domestic architecture, it exhibits the impact that growing prosperity had in Charlotte. It is among the few older homes in original sites. Note the wraparound front porch with original front door. (Historic)
32. 412 N. Poplar Street
McCausland-Taylor House, 1850, Federal style. Note the crab claw "welcome arms" brick front steps. These were built for gentlemen to walk on one side and ladies on the other to conceal their ankles from view when raising their skirts and petticoats on the steps. It has been a boarding house for girls, an antique shop and apartment house. It is now a private residence.
33. 400 N. Poplar Street
Bootlegger House, 1895, Eastleg Cottage style. In keeping with its name, there is a hidden area under the foyer stairs behind the wainscoting. It was originally located on Caldwell Street and moved to its current location in the 1970's. Since then, it has been restored and modernized. The house retains all of its original moldings, mantles, heart pine floors and doors. The hand blown glass windows are original as is most of the heart pine siding. Ghosts occasionally visit playing harmless pranks.
36. 226 W. 10th Street
Young-Morrison House, 1885, Queen Ann with Italianate details. This house was owned and occupied by descendants of Dr. Robert Hall Morrison, founder and president of Davidson College. Later in the 20th century, it housed a bookstore, an events venue and an architect's studio. The exterior wood trim is especially noteworthy since it is typical of many of its contemporary houses in Charlotte, few of which remain. (Historic)
37. 721 N. Tryon Street
First A.R.P. Church/ McColl Center for Art + Innovation, 1926. Gothic Revival style. The First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was designed by James Mackson McMichael (1870-1944). Destroyed by fire in 1985 by homeless "residents" trying to escape winter's cold. Renovated in 1999, it now houses visiting artists and provides gallery space. One can still recognize the architectural details readily associated with Gothic Revivalism. (Historic)
38. 515 N. Church Street
The Fredrick Apartments, 1927, Italian Renaissance Revival style. The Fredrick is representative of a wave of medium-sized apartment houses that were built in the late 1920s and was home to W.J. Cash, a newspaperman who was best known for his book, The Mind of the South. The polychrome facade with its three-dimensional clay tile detailing is unmatched in 1920s-era architecture in Charlotte.
39. 511 N. Church Street
Liddell-McNinch House, 1890, Queen Anne Shingle style. Built by Mr. Liddell, it is thought to be one of the finest examples of Queen Anne Shingle style in North Carolina. The roof design is fish scale and diamond patterns of slate shingles. Occupied by Charlotte's Mayor McNinch and visited by President Taft in 1909, it is home to the Four Diamond McNinch House Restaurant. (Historic)
40. 501 N. Tryon Street
First United Methodist Church, 1928, Late Gothic Revival style. The architect for the building was Edwin Brewer Phillips. The Indiana Limestone Company of Bedford, Indiana, quarried and produced the limestone for the building.
41. 115 W. 7th Street
St. Peter's Episcopal Church, 1895, Victorian Gothic style. St. Peter's Episcopal church was built of brick and brownstone in 1892-1895 and is one of Charlotte's best surviving examples of the Victorian mason's art. Although the architect is unknown, this is an excellent example of the late Victorian approach to Gothic architecture. The front of the church features a large round "rose" window above a row of six tall and narrow rectangular windows. The "rose window," with spoke-like stone or concrete mullions, dates from the 1948-51 renovations.
42. 237 N. Tryon Street
Mayfair Manor/Dunhill Hotel, 1929, Neoclassical style. Designed by local architect Louis H. Asbury as the 100-room Mayfair Manor apartment hotel. This has subsequently evolved into the 60-room Dunhill Hotel. The Dunhill Hotel has a nine-story symmetrical façade with double balconies at the penthouse that offer breathtaking views of the city. (Historic)
43. 127 N. Tryon Street
Ivey's Uptown, 1924. The historic Ivey's Department Store was designed by architect William H. Peeps. It was converted to its current configuration in 1995. The first two floors of the Ivey's include restaurants, shops, and offices. Residential condominiums occupy the top four floors. Homes include 14-22 foot ceilings with 10 foot windows, exposed beams, hardwood floors and fireplaces.
44. 200 W. Trade Street
First Presbyterian Church, 1857. Gothic Revival Style. The predominantly Scots-Irish parishioners erected the initial church in 1823. A second building was erected in 1857, of which only the façade, narthex, tower and spire remain. Today's sanctuary was built in the 1890's. Three Tiffany windows and a Ben Long fresco are part of today's church. (Historic)
45. 129 N. Poplar Street
Bagley-Mullen House, 1895, French Chateauresque style. The structure was built by E.M. Andrews, a founder of the Andrews Music Company and a pivotal figure in the architectural history of Charlotte. It is the only local example of the French Chateauresque style of architecture.
46. N. Church & W. 5th Street
Old Settlers Cemetery was the first municipal burial ground in Charlotte from 1776 until 1867 and contains the earthly remains of many of the most prominent citizens of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. Extensive grave reconstruction and historical research was conducted in the late 1990s. Note the bronze plaques on the 5th Street side.
47. 229 N. Church Street
NC Medical College / Settlers Place, 1905. Colonial Revival style. Designed by architect James Mackson McMichael as a medical college, later converted to offices and subsequently to condominiums with an addition to the south and west. Note the elaborately framed entrance and the additional classical elements of massive proportions. (Historic)
48. 229 N. Poplar Street
Saint Peters Hospital, 1878, Georgian Revival style. The Old St. Peter's Hospital was a general hospital, a hotel and subsequently a condominium. It is a large Georgian Revival style building with warm red brick walls, picturesque stepped gable ends of Flemish derivation, and simple wooden classical details. (Historic)
History of Historic Fourth Ward
In the mid-1830s, Charlotte was divided into four political wards. The northwest quadrant was called Fourth Ward - a prosperous area that was home to merchants, ministers, physicians and numerous churches, forming a strong center of social and religious influence.
This stately neighborhood, of approximately 30 city blocks, is bordered by the Tryon Street business and entertainment district, the historical Elmwood Cemetery, and lively Trade Street. It is anchored by the beautiful Fourth Ward Park.
By the early 1900s, the trolley had expanded beyond uptown Charlotte, making nearby "suburbs" such as Dilworth the neighborhoods of choice. Fourth Ward continued to thrive through the 50's and 60's but entered a period of decline that continued until 1976, when the Junior League undertook a restoration program that fired the imaginations of adventurous urban "pioneers."
Today, Historic Fourth Ward is an actie, charming community of grand Victorians, luxury condominiums, urban apartments, parks and businesses, as well as cultural, religious and educational activities - all within walking distance of Charlotte's thriving uptown business center.
This neighborhood is a collection of quaint and charming meets urban contemporary, and offers a residential experience that has made the Fourth Ward a premier Charlotte community.
Erected by City of Charlotte, North Carolina; Friends of Fourth Ward.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
Location. 35° 13.848′ N, 80° 50.564′ W. Marker has been reported unreadable. Marker is in Charlotte, North Carolina, in Mecklenburg County. It is in Charlotte center city. Marker is at the intersection of West 6th Street and North Poplar Street, on the right when traveling west on West 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 W 6th St, Charlotte NC 28202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Fourth Ward (a few steps from this marker); Visit of General George Washington (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bagley-Mullen House (about 600 feet away); The First Carolinians (about 600 feet away); The Eighteenth Century Piedmont (about 600 feet away); Establishing A New Life (about 600 feet away); The Origin Of Our Names (about 600 feet away); The Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlotte.
Additional keywords. prostitution, sex work
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.