Hamilton in Hamilton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Knights of Pythias Lodge Hall
Built about 1900 by C.W. Cotton, this structure was originally a one-story brick and stone building used for mercantile stores. A second story was added in 1913 to serve as a meeting place for the Hamilton Knights of Pythias Lodge. Following World War I, the building was used for numerous civic functions. Exhibiting simple Italianate detailing, the building features first floor shop windows, a central arched rear entry, and an awning across the front.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987
Erected 1987 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2968.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 31° 42.228′ N, 98° 7.479′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Texas, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (State Highway 36) and North Rice Street (U.S. 281) on West Main Street. The marker is located on the front wall of the red bricked building near the front door. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hamilton Bank and Trust Company (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary’s Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Rice-Eidson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); James Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. George R. Freeman (within shouting distance of this marker); Rice Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ann Whitney (about 300 feet away); Hamilton County Courthouse (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.