Near Shelby in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Paul Lutheran Church
(Die Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Saint Paul Gereinde)
On April 26, 1903, fifteen members of local church Die Friedens Gemeinde organized a new church called Die Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Saint Paulus Gemeinde, or St. Paul German Evangelical Lutheran Congregation. The Rev. Albert Julius Fuenning was the congregation's first pastor, also serving a church in Haw Creek, southwest of Shelby. Fuenning pastored until fall of 1904, when the St. Paul congregation called the Rev. A. Wenzel of the Missouri Synod. That year, church trustees built a sanctuary at this site on land purchased from C.P. and Anna Vogelsang. Mrs. Charles Siebel sold the church land for a parsonage.
The congregation later joined the old Texas Synod and then the Iowa Synod, from which it called the Rev. Julius Bosshard in 1908. Bosshard remained until 1920, then returned in 1930 to serve until his death in 1947. Other St. Paul pastors during the first half of the 20th century included the Revs. M.C. Hoermann and E.J. Scheffel. During that time, the congregation formed the Luther League and a church choir. In the 1950s, church members organized a brotherhood and women's missionary society.
Given in Memory of
Burdine Mueller Schulze
Burdine Schultze Family
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13192.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is April 26, 1903.
Location. 30° 1.158′ N, 96° 35.586′ W. Marker is near Shelby, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is on Skull Creek Road, 0.2 miles east of Farm to Market Road 1457, on the left when traveling east. The marker is located in front of the Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6814 Skull Creek Road, Fayetteville TX 78940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of ShelbyHenniger Family Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Breeding Family Cemetery / First School in Fayette County (approx. 4.3 miles away); Nassau Plantation (approx. 5 miles away); Winedale Stagecoach Inn (approx. 5˝ miles away); Charles Fordtran (approx. 5˝ miles away); Fisches Park (approx. 5˝ miles away); Industry Brethren Church Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.