Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Ulm in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of the Town of New Ulm

 
 
Site of the Town of New Ulm Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, June 27, 2021
1. Site of the Town of New Ulm Marker
Inscription.  

First known as Duff's Settlement
in honor of James C. Duff to
whom the land was granted in
1841 • Settled by Germans after
1845 and renamed in honor of
the German city of Ulm

 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3586.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
 
Location. 29° 53.646′ N, 96° 29.393′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of Ernst Parkway (Farm to Market Road 109) and Missouri Street, on the right when traveling south on Ernst Parkway. The marker is located on the corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Ulm TX 78950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frnka Family Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Josef Lidumil Lešikar (approx. 0.8 miles away); New Ulm Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mike Muckleroy
Site of the Town of New Ulm Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, June 27, 2021
2. Site of the Town of New Ulm Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 3.4 miles away); Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Frelsburg (approx. 3.8 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
 
Also see . . .  New Ulm, TX.
The community's growth was spurred after 1845 by an influx of German-speaking settlers from nearby communities such as Industry, Shelby, and Nassau Farm. In 1852 a post office was opened in the settlement, which became known as New Ulm in commemoration of the well-known city in Würtemberg, Germany, the province from which most early inhabitants had originally emigrated. During the 1850s the agricultural community had six general merchandise stores, five blacksmith shops, three breweries, three cabinetry shops, and a cigar factory. Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on June 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Site of the Town of New Ulm Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, June 27, 2021
3. The view of the Site of the Town of New Ulm Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=176227

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021