Folsom in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1957 by Sacramento County Daughters of Utah Pioneers, in cooperation with California State Park Commission. (Marker Number 240.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion Landmarks • Natural Resources • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1889.
Location. 38° 41.957′ N, 121° 7.654′ W. Marker is in Folsom, California, in Sacramento County. Marker can be reached from East Natoma Street. Marker is located at the parking lot of the Folsom Point picnic area, Folsom Lake State Recreation Area, off of East Natoma Steet. This is a fee-use area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Folsom CA 95630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Folsom Dam Improvements (approx. ¼ mile away); Mormon Island Relocation Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Prairie City Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Folsom Institute (approx. 2.4 miles away); Folsom Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Sacramento, Placer and Nevada Railroad Right of Way (approx. Sterlingshire (approx. 2.9 miles away); Original Folsom Hydroelectric Plant (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Folsom.
Regarding Mormon Island. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 569 on April 1, 1957.
1. The Town Site
The site of Mormon Island was located in El Dorado County just northeast of the marker site, while the marker is located in Sacramento County. The border of the two counties is located just east of the Folsom Point Picnic Area.
— Submitted April 4, 2009.
2. Interpretive sign at “Clarksville Days” held at the old town site of Clarksville
May 9, 2009
Originally located on the South Fork of the American River, just east of present day city of Folsom. Not truly an island, but a sand bar, where two of [John] Sutter’s workmen, Sidney Willes and Wilford Hudson first discovered gold, on March 2nd, 1848 – just 37 days after James Marshall’s
By the end of 1848 most of the Mormons left California, to return with their families and “gather with the Saints.” In the Oct. 29, 1850 census few Mormons remained. The town grew to thousands until the end of the Gold Rush. It remained a town until the 1950’s, when it was inundated by Folsom Lake.
See Photo #4
— Submitted May 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 4,098 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 4, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 4. submitted on May 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 5. submitted on April 4, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 6. submitted on February 20, 2012, by S B of Sacramento, California.