Byron Center in Kent County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Byron Township Hall
In 1896 William Jennings Bryan, the “silver-tongued orator,” spoke here while stumping the country as the Democratic presidential candidate. Gerald R. Ford often met here with his constituents during his thirteen terms as Michigan’s Fifth District Congressman. The Byron Township Hall served as a forum for political speeches and provided space for community activities such as dances, weddings, meetings, and church services. It became the Byron Township Historical Museum in 1987.
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1451.)
Topics and series. This historical marker Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 42° 48.666′ N, 85° 43.541′ W. Marker is in Byron Center, Michigan, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of Prescott Street Southwest and Harlow Avenue Southwest, on the right when traveling east on Prescott Street Southwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2506 Prescott St SW, Byron Center MI 49315, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Isaac Cutler House (approx. 4 miles away); 126th Infantry (approx. 5.3 miles away); Army National Guard Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away); Jenison Museum (approx. 7 miles away); Benjamins-Spring House (approx. 8.3 miles away); Thrifty Acres (approx. 8½ miles away); St. Andrew's Cemetery (approx. 10 miles away); Gerald R. Ford Boyhood Home / President Gerald R. Ford (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 5, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.