Near Sulphur Springs in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Shocks Chapel Methodist Church
This church traces its history to 1886, when area settlers organized a congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The church was named for the Rev. W. A. Shook, who held the first revival here. The congregation met in a brush arbor or a nearby schoolhouse until a sanctuary was built on land donated by B. P. Joiner. Early worship services were led by student pastors who were often paid in produce. Associated with the church is a community cemetery, begun in 1889. A second sanctuary, built in 1916, was replaced by a new structure in 1974.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7325.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 33° 4.553′ N, 95° 35.947′ W. Marker is near Sulphur Springs, Texas, in Hopkins County. Marker is at the intersection of Highway 154 and Farm to Market Road 1104, on the left when traveling north on Highway 154. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sulphur Springs TX 75482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesFirst Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs (approx. 4.3 miles away); Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site of the Union Stockade (approx. 4.3 miles away); Hopkins County Courthouse (approx. 4.3 miles away); City National Bank (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Sulphur Springs Loan and Building Association (approx. 4.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Sulphur Springs (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulphur Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.