Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsfield Township in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The David R. Byrd Center

Pittsfield Township, Michigan

 
 
The David R. Byrd Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, June 22, 2021
1. The David R. Byrd Center Marker
Inscription.  
1820 General Land Office at Detroit granted west half of Section Eight, Twp. E, South of Range Six East to Ralph Updike

c. 1830-1849 House and farm buildings constructed

1856-1935 Farm owned by the Wilsey and Sperry families

1935 Land purchased by UM professor J. Raleigh Nelson who named the property "Sunny Pastures"

1975 Land purchased from Nelson family by David and Letitia Byrd

1987 David Byrd died on May 15 and the property was subsequently restored by his widow, Letitia Byrd, as The David R. Byrd Center, a meeting place housing the offices of the African American Cultural and Historical Museum of Washtenaw County
 
Erected by Washtenaw County Historic District Commission. (Marker Number 56-PT.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
 
Location. 42° 14.387′ N, 83° 45.538′ W. Marker is in Pittsfield Township, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on Lohr Road, 0.1 miles north of
The David R. Byrd Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, June 22, 2021
2. The David R. Byrd Center Marker
Close-up due to weathering of marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Weatherstone Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3261 Lohr Rd, Ann Arbor MI 48108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Four World Records (approx. 2.2 miles away); 50 Years of Friendship (approx. 2.4 miles away); Ticknor-Campbell House (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Michigan Ross Bur Oak (approx. 2.6 miles away); John F. Kennedy Defines The Peace Corps (approx. 2.6 miles away); Michigan Union 75th Anniversary (approx. 2.6 miles away); Michigan Union (approx. 2.6 miles away); Law Quadrangle (approx. 2.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  David and Letitia Byrd Home. Excerpt:
This 1825 house on Lohr Road in Pittsfield Township was renovated in the 1970s and '80s, then used as an office by the late David Byrd, who established the construction technology program at Washtenaw Community College.
(Submitted on July 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
The David R. Byrd Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, June 22, 2021
3. The David R. Byrd Center Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=176535

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 30, 2021