Vacaville in Solano County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Walker Opera House
March 19, 1994
By Sam Brannan Chapter
1004 E Clampus Vitus
Erected 1994 by Sam Brannan Chapter No. 1004 of E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1783.
Location. 38° 21.395′ N, 121° 59.19′ W. Marker is in Vacaville, California, in Solano County. Marker is on Main Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 560 Main Street, Vacaville CA 95688, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Odd Fellows Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Built 1864 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gillespie’s Store (about 400 feet away); Site of First Business Building of Record (about 400 feet away); "The Hospital" (about 400 feet away); Triangle Building (about 500 feet away); Barcar Building (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vacaville.
More about this marker. The marker is located on the eastern corner of the Main Street side.
Regarding Walker Opera House. Sidney Clay Walker was born in Kentucky in 1828, and came to California from Missouri via wagon train in 1853. He at first settled in Suisun Valley as a rancher. In 1872, he and his family moved to the Vaca Valley to engage in general farming and stock raising. In 1886 he moved into Vacaville, building a house on the corner of Catherine and Davis Streets. In addition to organizing the Vacaville Water and Light Company, he was also a town trustee, a deacon for the Baptist Church, and a member of IOOF Lodge No. 83 in Vacaville. Walker died in 1908.
1. Additional Information Regarding the Marker
Jake Albright was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque wording by Loren A. Wilson.
— Submitted April 16, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,441 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3. submitted on April 16, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.