History Of Beaver Station & Vicinity
1855 - The Stone family built the first of two houses on this site that were later acquired by the P&LE for the track and station relocation of 1910. In 1831 Stephen Stone established Stone's Point, an important hub of canal and river commerce just southeast of this location.
1860 - The Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad opened a small station near the Ohio River below the present Beaver Library. It became part of the Pennsylvania RR in 1871. Large iron steps led down from River Road, over the tracks to this station and the popular Beaver Beach and dance pavilion. Passenger service ended in 1931, while freight service continued into the 1940s.
1861 - Abraham Lincoln's Inauguration train to Washington, D.C., stopped in nearby Rochester on February 14th.
1871 - The expansion of railroads rendered the Beaver and Erie Canal obsolete after 40 years of operation. 1875 Investors, including the Harmony Society, established the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad and secured track rights along the
1878 - The first trains crossed the original P&LE Ohio River Bridge to Beaver and on to Youngstown, Ohio. In 1879, a small wooden passenger station was opened. The P&LE's nickname became "The Little Giant” because it carried more tons of freight per track mile than any railroad in America.
1887 - W.H. Vanderbilt acquired control of the P&LE and affiliated it with the New York Central Railroad. The Pennsylvania Railroad started Conway Yards and from 1956 to 1980, it became the world's largest automated rail yard. 1897 The current Beaver Station was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by the P&LE's R. P. Forsberg. It was built by Theo Breitwieser for $8,000.
1910 - The current Ohio River railroad bridge, the largest cantilever type in the world at the time, was completed and the tracks and current station were moved southeast about 100 feet to their present location. A new freight house was built by Cook Anderson Co. on an adjacent parcel to the south.
1930 - At the height of rail travel, Beaver County had over 30 passenger stations. The P&LE alone carried 3.8 million passengers per year and operated hourly between Beaver and Pittsburgh with 30-minute express service. Beaver Station was an important connecting hub to the Ohio Valley inter-urban streetcar line known as the "YellowCar” that traveled through Midland to and from Steubenville, Ohio.
1955/1985 – Growth of automobiles, highways, and air travel led to a steady decline in train travel. Eventually there was only one morning and evening commuter train running between Beaver Falls and Pittsburgh with a stop in Beaver. Passenger service ended July 12, 1985, but CSX freight trains remain a frequent sight today.
1986 – Beaver County bought Beaver Station and expanded it to 8,500 square feet to create the county's first 911 Center.
1996 – The National Register of Historic Places named Beaver a National Historic District with Beaver Station and the adjacent freight house listed as contributing properties.
1998 - Beaver Area Heritage Foundation (BAHF) completely renovated the adjacent 1910 freight house converting it to the award-winning Beaver Area Heritage Museum.
2010 - Beaver County moved the 911 Center to a new, more modern facility in Ambridge.
2011/2017– At Beaver's request, BAHF undertook an
adaptive reuse study resulting in plans for Beaver Station
Cultural & Event Center. More than 350 public and
private donors gave $2.8M to "Preserve the Past & Enrich
the Future.” Beaver Station opened in 2015; exterior
amenities were completed in 2017. BAHF received two
state-wide, preservation awards for the project.
Topics. This historical marker is listed
Location. 40° 41.879′ N, 80° 17.817′ W. Marker is in Beaver, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker is on East End Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beaver PA 15009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Walk Through Beaver Country History (here, next to this marker); Native Americans-Early Contact 1600-1771 (here, next to this marker); Early Settlement 1772-1799 (here, next to this marker); Early Industry And Development 1815-1860 (here, next to this marker); Beaver County Is Born 1800-1814 (a few steps from this marker); Beaver County Firsts (a few steps from this marker); Beaver County National Firsts (a few steps from this marker); County Growth Continues 1881-1900 (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaver.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.