Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marshall in Calhoun County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Wolverine Rangers

 
 
The Wolverine Rangers Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
1. The Wolverine Rangers Marker
Inscription.  In December 1848, James Pratt, editor of the Marshall Statesman, invited readers to join him on a gold-seeking expedition. More than fifty Michigan men pooled their resources and formed the “Wolverine Rangers.” Pratt traveled to Independence, Missouri, in March 1849 to buy supplies. The Rangers joined with him in May and headed overland. The letters and diaries they and their companions wrote form one of the most extensive records of Americans’ experiences and emotions as they joined the California gold rush.

The Marshall Statesman newspaper published letters from the "Marshall boys" traveling to California to search for gold in 1849. The Wolverine Rangers began their journey "cheerful and Happy." They ended it "destitute," having been "grossly deceived" by the promise of a short-cut called Lassen's Cut-Off. When the Rangers realized they could not continue along the freezing, treacherous trail in a large party, they formally disbanded. Only a few had success in gold mining, and many returned to Michigan
 
Erected 2019 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan History Center
The Wolverine Rangers Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
2. The Wolverine Rangers Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. (Marker Number L2318.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 42° 16.332′ N, 84° 57.762′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Michigan, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Avenue and North Grand Street, on the right when traveling west on Michigan Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 228 W Michigan Ave, Marshall MI 49068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Interurban / Interurban Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Isaac E. Crary House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Stone Barn (about 300 feet away); First Courthouse / Brooks Memorial Fountain (about 300 feet away); John D. Pierce Homesite (about 400 feet away); Eagle Opera House (about 400 feet away); James A. Miner (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
 
The Wolverine Rangers Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
3. The Wolverine Rangers Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177217

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 29, 2021