Marshall in Calhoun County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1833 Marshall’s first village officials were elected at a meeting held in the pioneer schoolhouse. The building served the community as a school until 1843. William Venn built a house on this property in the early 1860s and moved the old schoolhouse to the rear of the lot. There it was used as a barn. The schoolhouse was demolished in 1871 when the First Presbyterian Church purchased the property for a manse. The church sold the property in 1880 and repurchased it in 1914.
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1393.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 42° 16.376′ N, 84° 57.672′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Michigan, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of West Mansion Street and North Eagle Street, on the right when traveling west on West Mansion Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 W Mansion St, Marshall MI 49068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sam Hill House (here, next to this marker); James A. Miner (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eagle Opera House (about 400 feet away); The Interurban / Interurban Depot (about 400 feet away); Sullivan Insurance Agency, Inc. (about 400 feet away); Hemmingsen Rexall Drug Store (about 400 feet away); The Wolverine Rangers (about 500 feet away); Charles T. Gorham (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 21 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 14, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.