Marty in Charles Mix County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Martin Marty / Rev. Sylvester Eisenman
First Abbot of St. Meinrad Archabbey, First Bishop of the Dakota Territory, began to visit the Indians in this territory in 1877. He established the first Indian Mission called St. Ann’s Mission of Wheeler, about 30 miles N.W. of here in 1878. The same year South Dakota was created a state - 1889, he was made the first Bishop of Sioux Falls, S.D.
With the help of many friends, built St. Paul’s Mission, Marty, and with the help of 3 Blessed Sacrament Sisters he operated it as a school Indian education in 1924. In 1935, he established here the convent for the Oblate Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament. He laid down his burden on the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross September 14, 1948.South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list.
Location. 42° 59.61′ N, 98° 25.591′ W. Marker is in Marty, South Dakota, in Charles Mix County. Marker is on 303rd Street east of 388th Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marty SD 57361, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yankton Sioux Treaty of 1858 Monument (approx. 5.2 miles away); Treaty of 1858 (approx. 5.2 miles away); Pickstown / Lewis and Clark (approx. 7½ miles away); A Gathering Place for Eagles (approx. 7.6 miles away); Missouri River (approx. 7.6 miles away); Fort Randall Area (approx. 7.6 miles away); Fort Randall Eagle Roost (approx. 7.6 miles away); Daily Bread (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marty.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on July 17, 2021. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 18, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.