Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Plow Tavern
formerly occupied this site.
built 1745 * * * demolished April 1, 1924.
When General Lafayette made his memorable visit here in 1825, he was banqueted at this splendid old hostelry.
This tablet is respectfully dedicated and preserved by John B. Bissinger, Jr., Lancaster, Penna.
Erected by John B. Bissinger, Jr.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Lafayette’s Farewell Tour series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1745.
Location. 40° 2.239′ N, 76° 18.753′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of W. King Street and N. Charlotte Street, on the left when traveling east on W. King Street. Marker is at northeast corner of intersection and faces King Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 353 W King Street, Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceMathias Roeser (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry Krauskopf House and Store (about 500 feet away); Francis Asbury (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Conestoga Indian Massacre (approx. ¼ mile away); Early Architecture (approx. ¼ mile away); John Durang (approx. ¼ mile away); Thaddeus Stevens (approx. ¼ mile away); Stevens Grave & Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 17, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. 2. submitted on July 18, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.