Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waco in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Toliver Chapel Baptist Church

 
 
Toliver Chapel Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, July 19, 2021
1. Toliver Chapel Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  

This congregation grew out of a Sunday school class led by the Rev. I. Toliver, a highly-respected Baptist minister and civic leader in Waco's African American community. The Rev. Toliver, for whom the church is named, organized the Toliver Chapel Baptist Church in July 1895. The Rev. J. Cole was called as first pastor.

The church purchased slightly more than four acres in east Waco from W.M. Walton in 1896. The congregation remained at that location until about 1900 when they moved to a sanctuary built across Price Street from this site. Early church members recalled that services were often interrupted by the sounds of interurban rail cars which ran along Price Street.

The church prospered and in 1917 a new sanctuary was erected to accommodate an expanding member ship. The church continued to grow and by the early 1940s boasted more than 1,100 members. In 1948 a new church building was erected at this site. Facilities which have been added over the years include an educational building and a music chapel.

Several prominent area citizens have been members of this congregation. Toliver Chapel Baptist Church
The view of the Toliver Chapel Baptist Church from across the street image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, July 19, 2021
2. The view of the Toliver Chapel Baptist Church from across the street
Click or scan to see
this page online
continues to maintain active outreach and youth programs in the community.
Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995
 
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15141.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1895.
 
Location. 31° 34.487′ N, 97° 6.918′ W. Marker is in Waco, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is at the intersection of Elm Avenue and North Price Street, on the left when traveling east on Elm Avenue. The marker is located in front of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1402 Elm Avenue, Waco TX 76704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Luke African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Doris Miller (approx. 0.4 miles away); Westley United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Going Up The Chisholm Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Waco Suspension Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jacob de Cordova (approx. 1.2 miles away); Waco Spring (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Waco Suspension Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waco.
 
The Toliver Chapel Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, July 19, 2021
3. The Toliver Chapel Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177825

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 29, 2021