Mount Pleasant in Henry County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Iowa Wesleyan College
150 years of continuous
education for men and women
Iowa Wesleyan College
Erected 1992 by Iowa and National Society, Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 40° 58.447′ N, 91° 33.215′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, in Henry County. Marker can be reached from North Broadway Street south of East Broad Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is mounted at eye-level on the right side of the Pioneer Hall entrance at Iowa Wesleyan University. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 North Main Street, Mount Pleasant IA 52641, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Iowa Wesleyan College (here, next to this marker); P.E.O. Sisterhood Founded (within shouting distance of this marker); Belle Babb Mansfield (within shouting Votes For Women (within shouting distance of this marker); James Harlan (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Das Deutsches Kollegium (about 600 feet away); Harlan Hotel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Also see . . . Iowa Wesleyan University History. The historic founding of Iowa Wesleyan University is rooted in the religious, educational and cultural aspirations of early settlers in the frontier settlement of Mt. Pleasant. On February 17, 1842, the Territorial Legislature granted a charter for the Mt. Pleasant Literary Institute, later named the Mt. Pleasant Collegiate Institute. Classes began in the Institute Building, now known as Pioneer Hall, with two professors: President Huestis, who taught Natural and Moral Science and belles lettres, and Johnson Pierson, who taught ancient languages and literature. (Submitted on July 24, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 23, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.