Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Coon Hollow Distillery Offices

Historic Site

 

— Bourbon District - 256 West —

 
Coon Hollow Distillery Offices Marker image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, July 3, 2021
1. Coon Hollow Distillery Offices Marker
Inscription.  
Distillery owner Richard Cummins built a second facility next to Coon Hollow called Big Springs. By the 1890s, the two distilleries had six bonded warehouses containing some 25,000 barrels of whiskey.

In addition to their own brands, the distilleries produced bourbon for Charles Dennely & Co. of Chicago and Pleasure Ridge Park Distillery in Jefferson County. These bourbons were sold under the names Cherry Lane, Clear Spring, Jefferson Club, 1901, Old Carlton, Old Potter, Old Underroof, and Pebble-Ford.

[Captions:]
Coon Hollow Distillery workers

6 Warehouses
25,000 Barrels of whiskey

By the mid-1800s, almost all rural distilleries had offices on Whiskey Row for easy access to shipping and distribution by rail and river. One such distillery was Coon Hollow, built just after the Civil War by Richard Cummins to fulfill the country's post-war demand for Kentucky bourbon.

The Nelson County-made bourbon was sold in amber-colored glass bottles with a wrinkled texture to imitate tree bark. The bottles also featured an embossed racoon face
Coon Hollow Distillery Offices Marker Reverse image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, July 3, 2021
2. Coon Hollow Distillery Offices Marker Reverse
Click or scan to see
this page online
on the front. A druggist's ad for Coon Hollow bourbon declared:

"The finest made in Kentucky. A pure, unadulterated, unblended Whiskey, especially recommended for use in the family and sick room."

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 38° 15.377′ N, 85° 45.259′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Kentucky, in Jefferson County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 31W) just east of South 3rd Street, on the left when traveling west. The marker stands in front of the LG&E Center Building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 W Main St, Louisville KY 40202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Louisville Board of Trade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Discovery of the Ohio River (about 300 feet away); Slave Trading In Louisville / Garrison Slave Pen Site (about 300 feet away); The Galt House (about 300 feet away); Bank of Louisville (about 400 feet away); Clarke & Loomis Architects / Levy Brothers Building (about 500 feet away); Old Forester Distilling Co. (about 500 feet away); Kentucky Distillers' Association (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2021, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 90 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2021, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=178301

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021