Lincoln in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
[Early History; Corner Site Only]
1859: Charles Lincoln Wilson buys this site, previously patented by Theodore Judah.
1861: C.L. Wilson erects a wooden warehouse to serve railway terminal across 5th street.
1863: Used often as a community hall, “Roods Hall.” Roods was Wilson’s brother-in-law.
1870: Stephan & Melissa Burdge run a boarding house/hotel here during most of the decade.
1883: Historic Downtown Fire, July 11. Burdge Hotel burns—rebuilt across G Street. Gladding, McBean & Co. buy this site and build this brick building for their use.
1887: C.H. Butterfield buys building and opens a general store.
1890: The Post Office is here. Butterfield dies.
1891: Mrs. E.J. Atkinson buys the building. L.D. Adams Store(1891-1903). Rochdale Chain Store(1903-1905).
1907: Walter Jansen buys the building. Stores of note: J.E. “Jute” Tofft (1907-1920); Tofft Hardware (R.J. Tofft),(1918-1931).
1912: Jansen doubles building size. Finney and Tofft Mercantile Store, and others, here. After 1920 a series of merchants—Jansen, Tofft, Gates,
1990: Wm. & John Falconi buy building. Vacant after 1992. Restored by Falconis in 2002.
Erected 2003 by Silver Star Parlor No.63, Native Sons of the Golden West; Lincoln, California, September 9, 2003.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1675.
Location. 38° 53.496′ N, 121° 17.574′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, California, in Placer County. Marker is on G Street (Highway 65), on the right when traveling south. Marker is mounted on the building located on the southwest corner of G Street (Highway 65) and 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 490 G Street (Highway 65), Lincoln CA 95648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fleming Building (within shouting distance of this marker); I O O F Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Emmada Building (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hoppert Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beerman Plaza (about 300 feet away); Lincoln World War II Memorial (about 600 feet away); Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson (about 700 feet away); McTyeire Memorial Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
Also see . . . Feats of Clay Magazine has a great Walking Tour of Old Town-Lincoln. Its Description of the Butterfield Building:
Lincoln’s founder Charles Wilson, had a wooden frame building here in the early 1860’s. His brother-in-law, Henry Rood, operated the building as “Rood Hall”. By 1870 Stephen and Melissa Burdge ran a boarding house in the building, known as the Burdge Hotel. It burned down in the big fire of 1883 (the Burdges built a new hotel on the corner across the street.) Gladding, McBean & co. then built a brick store building here and kept it until 1887. C.H. Butterfield bought it and operated a store here until his death in 1891. In the first half of the 20th century the chain store Rochdale Store was here from 1903-1905. Walter Jansen had the space for awhile as did Lincoln Frozen locker Co. and then the Red & White Store #2. Currently the building has been restored as Lincoln Brand feeds and Awful Annies and Cally Lilly Crossing occupies this (Submitted on April 14, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,324 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 11, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 4. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.