Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The University of Michigan Union was founded in 1904 to unite men's student organizations, and to promote university spirit and social interaction among Michigan men. In 1906, the Union organization acquired the home of Judge Thomas M. Cooley for use as a clubhouse, and soon thereafter began raising funds for a larger structure. The Michigan Union, designed by Chicago architects and university alumni Irving and Allen Pond, opened in 1919 on the clubhouse site. In 1920, the Union deeded the property to the university. One of the oldest student unions in the country, it is also the place where, on October 14, 1960, John F. Kennedy presented an idea that would later become the Peace Corps. In 1965, the Michigan Union and the Michigan League merged their student program boards under the auspices of the University Activities Center as a way to serve all students. Today, the Michigan Union hosts a broad array of services, programs, and facilities focused on serving students and other members of the university and community. This marker commemorates the centennial of the Michigan Union organization and celebrates the landmark building it added
Erected 2004 by History and Tradition Committee. (Marker Number 11.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is October 14, 1960.
Location. 42° 16.51′ N, 83° 44.452′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of South State Street and South University Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 530 South State Street, Ann Arbor MI 48109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan Union 75th Anniversary (a few steps from this marker); John F. Kennedy Defines The Peace Corps (a few steps from this marker); The Michigan Union and the Peace Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); University of Michigan Campus 1907 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Making of a Great University (within shouting distance of this marker); Tappan Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Law Quadrangle (about 400 feet away); Spanish-American War Memorial (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
Also see . . . University Unions History. University of Michigan web page dedicated to the history of the Michigan League, Michigan (Submitted on August 2, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.