Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

James Newton and Eva Tabor Rayzor House

 
 
James Newton and Eva Tabor Rayzor House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joe Lotz, August 2, 2021
1. James Newton and Eva Tabor Rayzor House Marker
Inscription.  

James Newton Rayzor was born December 10, 1858 in Lockport, Kentucky. He immigrated to Texas in the fall of 1866 with his family and settled in Collin County. In 1871, the family moved to Cooke County where Rayzor later taught school at Prairie Grove and at Pilot Point and Mustang Community in Denton County. He moved to Denton in 1882 and married Eva Tabor, who was born May 18, 1864 in Pilot Point. Rayzor was involved in many business ventures including the Alliance Mill (now Morrison Milling Co.), Alliance Ice Company and Rayzor Ice Company. He was active in community organizations such as the Masonic Lodge, served as president of the Denton Chamber of Commerce, was a member of the John B. Denton College Committee that founded the school in 1901 and helped establish the State Industrial School For Girls (now Texas Woman's University). Rayzor served as a deacon at the First Baptist Church for 44 years and also authored several books about religion, history and his 1923 travels to Europe and the Holy Land.

James and Eva purchased the property in 1906 and completed the home in 1909 with contractor M.T.Goodwin. This prairie style
James Newton and Eva Tabor Rayzor House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joe Lotz, August 2, 2021
2. James Newton and Eva Tabor Rayzor House and Marker
The marker is on the far right of the right and partially obscured by a tree.
Click or scan to see
this page online
home features horizontal lines, exaggerated overhanging eaves and a hipped roof over the second-story bedrooms. Ribbons of windows line the south and southwest side of the home, and repetitive millwork and tongue and groove oak floors complement the interior. The screened sleeping porch contained numerous beds for company and the family during hot summers. After James and Eva passed away in 1938 and 1939, respectively, their descendants owned the home until 1978.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2012
 
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17263.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
 
Location. 33° 12.925′ N, 97° 8.562′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on West Oak Street west of Mounts Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1003 W Oak Street, Denton TX 76201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lipscomb-Doggett House (within shouting distance of this marker); Scripture-Deavenport House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Martin-Russell House (about 600 feet away); Mounts House (about 700 feet away); Christal House (about 800
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
feet away); Mounts-Wright House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historical Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Simmons-Maxwell House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2021, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2021, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=178608

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021