Lincoln in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
I O O F Building
By International Order of Odd Fellows
Originally 24 feet (front) by 80 feet (along alley)
Two stories high; outside stairway on alley side
expanded east to present size in 1905,
adding four windows and inside stairway
Many lodges met upstairs; Eastern Star,
IOOF, Native Daughters, Native Sons, Pythians,
Pocahantas, Rebekas, Redmen and others
Retail businesses were downstairs.
Well-known long term occupants
Dallman’s Drygoods, up to 1900
Beerman’s Lincoln Meat Market, 1909-1905
Alexander’s Drug Store, 1916-1945
Clinger’s Grocery Store, 1926-1955
(See local history books for other occupants)
Erected 1996 by Silver Star Parlor No.63, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 53.504′ N, 121° 17.537′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, California, in Placer County. Marker is on 5th Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 645 5th Street, Lincoln CA 95648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Hoppert Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Fleming Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Beerman Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Butterfield/Jansen Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Emmada Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson (about 500 feet away); McTyeire Memorial Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
Also see . . .
1. Lincoln – A Town of Beginnings and Endings. The town of Lincoln has had many beginnings and its share of predicted endings. The major letdown was when railroad builders Theodore Judah and Colonel Charles Lincoln Wilson in the late 1850's envisioned the town as a main depot for a rail route from San Francisco across the Sierra. Lincoln did become a major hub of transportation, but the railroad ended up going north and south. (Submitted on April 12, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Photos of the NSGW IOOF Plaque Dedication. (Submitted on April 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
3. Feats of Clay Magazine has a great Walking Tour of Old Town-Lincoln
N.L. Day was the first occupant of this site. He came into Lincoln from Gold Hill when the railroad arrived in October of 1861 he opened a livery stable . In 1864 the Odd Felllows (a lodge) purchased the lot to build their lodge which was dedicated on Dec. 8 1864. The Odd Fellows and Masons met upstairs, and the downstairs served as a store. Joseph’s Dallman’s dry goods store was here until well into the 1890’s. At the turn of the century Fiddyment and Leavell (Louis) had a general store here. In the first half of the 20th century, Leavell had the store in 1903 then C.E. Finney took over. In 1905 the building was expanded to its present site. Finney occupied the new part, and Wyatt and May had a butcher shop in the old part. #645 was a butcher shop for over 50 years (Beermann’s most of the time.) #625 was a movie theater (photo theater) from 1913-1919, then a grocery store until 1955 (mainly Clingers). Alexander’s Drug store was at #627, 1916-1945, then C.C. Neville Electric Shop. In the 1920’s more than 10 fraternal organizations held their meetings upstairs. There were also professional offices there. (Submitted on April 14, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for I O O F Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,720 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 4. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5. submitted on April 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.