Glidden in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Glidden Baptist Church
This congregation grew out of a community church that began meeting in the railroad town of Glidden as early as 1895. In 1906 the Glidden Missionary Baptist Church in Christ was formally organized. Members of the church called their first pastor, Oscar Ferrell, the following year. During the early years, baptisms were held in the Colorado River or in the pits at the railroad roundhouse. The Glidden Baptist Church, as the fellowship now is known, has played an important role in the community's growth and development.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2193.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 29° 42.012′ N, 96° 35.23′ W. Marker is in Glidden, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and Brazos Street, on the left when traveling south on 8th Street. The marker is located directly in front of the entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 8th Street, Glidden TX 78943, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this markerGlidden (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Olive Branch Baptist Church and Rocky Chapel School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rocky Chapel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hebrew Benevolence Society Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of the Camp of Gen. Joaquín Ramírez y Sesma (approx. 1.7 miles away); Columbus Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Rev. Jacob Scherer (approx. 1.7 miles away); American Legion Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glidden.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.