Pulaski in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Church of the Messiah
Church of the Messiah
of Historic Places
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 35° 11.999′ N, 87° 1.999′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker is at the intersection of West Madison Street and North 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on West Madison Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 North 3rd Street, Pulaski TN 38478, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor John C. Brown House (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Colonial Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Grissom Colonial Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); This Well (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Donald Grady Davidson (1893~1966) John Crowe Ransom (1888~1974) (about 600 feet away); Sam DavisFirst Presbyterian Church of Pulaski (about 800 feet away); Pulaski Courthouse Square Historic District (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pulaski.
Regarding Church of the Messiah. From the National Register of Historic Places inventory-nomination form for the church, submitted in 1983:
… The origins of the Church of the Messiah go back to 1830 when the first Episcopal Church in Pulaski was organized under the name of St. Stephen's. In 1835 the first Episcopal Bishop of Tennessee, the Rt, Rev. James Harvey Otey visited the town and granted the church parish status. In 1887 construction was begun on the present Episcopal church, renamed the Church of the Messiah and located on land donated by Major Benjamin F. Carter and his family. The building was constructed at a cost of $6,000.00 given by Governor John G, Brown and his wife in memory of two deceased daughters. The dedication of the church in December of 1887 was a major civic event with many prominent people attending, including Governor Brown, Bishop Quintard of Tennessee, Bishop Pierce of Arkansas, Bishop Garrett of Northern Texas, and Rev. Thomas F. Gailor, a former rector of the church and
Also see . . . Asset Detail | Church of the Messiah. National Register of Historic Places inventory-nomination form (PDF) and accompanying photographs (PDF). (Submitted on August 8, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.