Albuquerque in Bernalillo County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
In 1706, New Mexico Governor Francisco Cuervo y Valdes founded the new Villa de Albuquerque (now spelled Albuquerque). Here, the Camino Real wound its way through a series of farming and ranching communities to a nearby ford, linking the road settlements on the west bank of the Rio Grande. Albuquerque retains its original plan with streets radiating from a central plaza. The 1793 San Felipe de Neri Church and Rectory remain from the Spanish Colonial period and most historic buildings around the plaza date from c. 1870 to c. 1900.
See other side
Albuquerque was the main commercial center for the Rio Grande valley until the 1880 arrival of the railroad, one-and-a-half miles east of the plaza. Growth and development centered on the railroad and "New" Albuquerque. Now known as Plaza Vieja or Old Town, the plaza, plan of narrow streets, and historic buildings are representative of a traditional Hispanic city.
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & SettlersEl Camino Real de Tierra Adentro series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1706.
Location. 35° 5.775′ N, 106° 40.185′ W. Marker is in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in Bernalillo County. Marker is at the intersection of North Plaza Street NW and San Felipe Street NW, on the left when traveling west on North Plaza Street NW. The marker is on the north side of Old Town Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Plaza Street NW, Albuquerque NM 87104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mountain Howitzers (a few steps from this marker); Founding of Albuquerque (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Soldiers (a few steps from this marker); Skirmish of Albuquerque (a few steps from this marker); San Felipe De Neri (within shouting distance of this marker); Albuquerque POW / MIA Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mother Church of Albuquerque (within shouting distance of this marker); San Felipe de Alburquerque (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albuquerque.
More about this marker. Although this marker states that it is an Official Scenic Historic Marker, it does not appear in the Official Scenic Historic Marker Guide published by the New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,078 times since then and 120 times this year. Last updated on August 14, 2021, by Phil Green of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2021, by Phil Green of Albuquerque, New Mexico. 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 29, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.