Dayton in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Newcom Tavern
A trading post inn until 1836. Quartermaster's Headquarters for the N.W. Army, 1812.
First native Daytonian, Jane Newcom, born in 1802, in the tavern.
First General Store, Oldest House in Dayton, A Link Between Past and Present
Erected 1966 by The Montgomery County Historical Society and The Dayton Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
Location. 39° 45.811′ N, 84° 11.587′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 48) and Monument Avenue (Ohio Route 4), on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Monument is on wall of The Newcom Building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 255 N Main Street, Dayton OH 45402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Site Of The Newcom Tavern (here, next to this marker); Steele High SchoolMontgomery County Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Biltmore (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flood Level (about 400 feet away); Miami Conservancy District (about 400 feet away); Josephine and Hermene Schwarz (about 500 feet away); Dayton Woman’s Club (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 937 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on April 14, 2009, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.