Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Amherst in Amherst County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Amherst Depot

 
 
The Amherst Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 14, 2021
1. The Amherst Depot Marker
Inscription.  
The first depot in Amherst (then known as Dearborn) was built in the late 1800s for the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. This depot would be replaced in November 1913 by the Southern Railway when it took over the O&A and expanded its operation in Amherst County. Southern Railway contracted with Pettyjohn Company in nearby Lynchburg to construct a new passenger station costing $4,712. The depot's construction of longleaf pine siding and a red tile roof was the typical architectural style of the early railroad stations. A ticket booth extended outward from the center facing the tracks with waiting rooms on each side—one for black folks and the other for white folks. A freight depot was located across Depot Street.

In the 1920s renovation were made, converting the south waiting room into a freight depot and changing exterior colors as shown on the postcard image to the left.

Until the 1940s three passenger trains stopped at this depot each day. Passenger service would end in the 1960s. Freight pick-up and drop-off ended in the mid-1970s. In 1985 the depot passed into the private ownership of Marshall Mays, owner of Mays
The Amherst Depot image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 14, 2021
2. The Amherst Depot
Click or scan to see
this page online
Farmers Service Co. In the spring of 1995 Mr. Mays offered the depot to the Amherst Chamber of Commerce as well as this .62-acre lot it now rests upon, approximately one quarter mile from its original location. Fortune has smiled upon the depot, being restored by the County of Amherst and, most fittingly, still stands near the train tracks.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureRailroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Orange and Alexandria Railroad series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1913.
 
Location. 37° 34.805′ N, 79° 2.792′ W. Marker is in Amherst, Virginia, in Amherst County. Marker is on South Amherst Highway (U.S. 29) just south of Richmond Highway (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 328 Richmond Hwy, Amherst VA 24521, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Amherst County Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); POW-MIA Memorial (approx. half a mile away); World War II Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Vietnam Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Beirut-Lebanon (approx. half a mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); World War I Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Courage of Frank Padget (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amherst.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 24 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=179495

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021