Lincoln in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
New Hoppert Building
1862 - Small wooden building: "John Cannon, Attorney and Counselor-at-Law."
1870 - Christopher Hoppert buys this parcel and building, plus several to the east and north; opens C.H. Hoppert: Bakery, Saloon, Eating House."
1892 - Hoppert builds "New Hoppert Building" on this site (bakery and home next lot east). First tenants: Levy and Levitt, "Farmer and Mechanics Store"(Clothing, etc.).
1906 - Meat Market: Proprietors in turn, W.P. Adams, W.J. Wyatt, Wyatt & Murch, Jolly and Sons, L. Leavell & Son, L. Browning.
1916 - L Browning, Saloon (until Prohibition).
1920 - "Mac's Pool Hall and Soda Fountain" (Roy McRary) popular rendevous 25 years. Airo's Barber Shop, 1920-24 and 1964-1993
1945 - Fountain: Olan Hare, then C. Hughes, then Woody Wyatt.
1956 - The Town Shop. Wilson Paint Center 1964). Donut shop/snack bar (1965). Kay Gee Cafe (1971). Bill and Sharon's Electric (1973).
1979 - "Sandwich Alley'" Doris & Bob Flocchini, then Diana and Shawn Burke.
Lincoln, California, September 9, 2002
Erected 2002 by Silver Star Parlor #63, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 9, 1813.
Location. 38° 53.513′ N, 121° 17.522′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, California, in Placer County. Marker is on Fifth Street near F Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln CA 95648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beerman Plaza (a few steps from this marker); I O O F Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Fleming Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Emmada Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Butterfield/Jansen Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away); Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson (about 400 feet away); First Clay Pipe Plant in the West (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
More about this marker. The marker on the southeast corner of the building - to the right of the entrance.
Regarding New Hoppert Building. The building currently houses a restaurant and catering establishment,
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 817 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3. submitted on April 20, 2009. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.