Gifford in Hampton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gifford Rosenwald School
Gifford Rosenwald School, sometimes Gifford Colored School, was built here in 1920-21. It was one of 500 rural schools built for African-American students in S.C., funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation from 1917 to 1932. The first of four Rosenwald Schools in Hampton County, it was a two-room frame building constructed at a cost of $3,225.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Gifford Rosenwald School had two to five teachers for an average of almost 200 students a year in grades 1-9 until it closed in 1958. That year a new school serving Gifford and Luray, built by an equalization program seeking to preserve school segregation, replaced the 1921 school. The old school has been used for church services and Sunday School classes since 1958.
Erected 2014 by The Arnold Fields Community Endowment, Faith Temple Deliverance Ministry, and the Town of Gifford Council. (Marker Number 25-21.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gifford SC 29923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beech Branch Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Town Of Brunson (approx. 5.2 miles away); Fairfax (approx. 6˝ miles away); Allendale County War Memorial (approx. 6.7 miles away); Old Pocotaligo Road, March From The Sea (approx. 6.7 miles away); Hampton Colored School (approx. 6.8 miles away); a different marker also named Hampton Colored School (approx. 6.8 miles away); World War II POW Camp (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Rosenwald School-Gifford. (Submitted on August 22, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 22, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.