Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bridgewater in McCook County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Bridgewater

1880

 
 
Bridgewater Marker image. Click for full size.
August 22, 2021
1. Bridgewater Marker
Inscription.  The Milwaukee, building from Marion to the Missouri, in 1880 soon reached Nation, platted in 1879 by Robert and J. B. Nation, with Orlan K. Bullard its postmaster on 5 January 1880 and when changed to Bridgewater on November 20th he continued to serve. The election that year shifted the county seat from Cameron to Bridgewater, 119 to 109, when the canvassing board threw out 76 votes for Montrose on the pretext that it was nonexistent. The Cameron pioneers flocked to Bridgewater and to Melas, (Salem in reverse), and County Clerk H. H. Pierce took the records to the new Courthouse in Bridgewater on the corner of Poplar & 3rd Streets. Tabor & Berry, storekeepers at Cameron, shifted to Bridgewater too and had their store S of the tracks where the Shannard elevator now is located and all went through the terrific blizzard winter of 1880-81 without a train from January to April. That spring J. P. McKee's general store and W. J. Bollinger's hardware were put up on Poplar and Nation's bank at 3rd & Main. Salem won the county seat in the 1882 election. The school was moved from south of the tracks and a fine new 36 x 40 building erected in 1883 as well
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
as the Catholic, Methodist & Presbyterian Churches. The Tribune was started in February 1881 and E. C. Kibbe ran the "Cricket" as an opposition paper. Thus for 80 years Bridgewater has been a good place to live and gets better every year.
 
Erected 1959 by Bridgewater City Commission and State Highway Commission. (Marker Number 275.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is November 20, 1880.
 
Location. 43° 32.977′ N, 97° 30.148′ W. Marker is in Bridgewater, South Dakota, in McCook County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Avenue and State Route 262, on the left when traveling north on North Main Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgewater SD 57319, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salem Rest Area (approx. 9 miles away); Purple Heart Memorial Highway (approx. 9.2 miles away); Our Congregations (approx. 9.4 miles away); McCook County Courthouse Veterans Memorial (approx. 13.6 miles away); Mennonite and Hutterian Immigration Memorial (approx. 13.8 miles
Bridgewater Marker in Bridgewater image. Click for full size.
August 22, 2021
2. Bridgewater Marker in Bridgewater
away); Johannesthal Reformed Church (approx. 13.9 miles away); Freeman Veterans Memorial (approx. 14.3 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2021. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180129

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024